From January 2023, Spain will be able to apply for the «digital nomad visa», in Spanish Consulates and Embassies (although it is highly advisable to consult an expert in the field). This type of visa is designed for workers whose jobs allow them to work remotely and change residence frequently. Currently, there are 36 countries that offer digital nomad visas, although the requirements vary greatly from one country to another.
The requirements in Spain are very diverse and large, some of them are the following:
- The minimum salary must be higher than 2,160 euros.
- Qualified training is required (accreditation of a degree or postgraduate degree).
- The visa is valid for 1 year (and a residence permit can be obtained later).
- It is mandatory to have private or public insurance before applying.
- A seniority of 3 months in the company prior to applying for the visa.
- To attach a criminal record, among other requirements.
According to Spanish internal regulations, the processing time cannot exceed 20 days. However, in some cases the processing time has exceeded 20 days, although it is hoped that in the coming months this situation will be reversed, and the procedure will be speeded up.
Spain aims to use this type of visa to address and find solutions to issues related to cross-border work by attracting highly skilled workers to reside in Spain to increase the country’s wealth.